I know that I am a little behind with serving up the comfort food at my house. It’s Spring for Pete’s sake!
It was cold and wet all day yesterday here in western Tennessee, which is perfect for warm and filling comfort food. And nothing says comfort like breakfast for supper, so I made Biscuit and gravy casserole. With very few ingredients that come together, you’ll have supper (or breakfast) on the table in about 30-45 minutes.
STEP 1: Ingredients (the picture is misleading so read all list below)
- 1 lb pork sausage
- non-stick spray or 2 T butter
- 2 packages sausage gravy mix
- 12 (one dozen) eggs
- 1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tubes refrigerator biscuits (depending on the brand)
- Brown the sausage in skillet
- While sausage is browning, whisk together eggs, evaporated milk and salt
- Drain and rinse sausage, set aside in a small bowl
- Spray skillet with non-stick spray (or 2 Tablespoon butter)
- Soft scramble egg mixture
- While eggs are scrambling, make gravy according to package directions
- combine sausage and gravy
- open biscuits
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick
- Layer 1/3 gravy mixture
- layer 1/3 egg mixture, repeat
- Top with refrigerator biscuits
STEP 6: Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown and gravy is bubbly.
I used one tube of Pillsbury® Grand Biscuits®. If your choice is a smaller biscuit, you may need two tubes. Also, I don’t recommend using frozen biscuits because of the extra baking time that is required.
This was tremendously filling. Effy and Wee Beastie loved it and asked for seconds. That doesn’t happen often, so when it does, I keep the recipe!
Have a happy weekend!